1. What is the GHNHW?
• The Glen Hills community standing together against crime.
• Jurisdiction: Glen Hills, Durban
• Street/Block Sectors within GHNHW: A Sector Map will be available soon.
• Voluntarily working and communicating with SAPS and local security companies to manage a swift, co-ordinated and EFFECTIVE security network.
• Observe – communicate – co-ordinate via WhatsApp, SMS and Facebook.
2. Why do we need a WATCH?
• Unacceptable crime rate – increasing over festive season
• A siege mentality does not work nor is it desirable
• To create safe neighbourhoods for everyone to enjoy
• Understaffed and poorly equipped police with large case loads
• Need to ‘track’ ‘catch’ & ‘prosecute’
• Police must focus primarily on violent crimes as opposed to property related crimes
• As The GHNHW becomes more effective this will free up SAPS such that they too can be more effective in their more serious cases
• Good communication with emergency services means swift effective reaction not only to crime but to other emergencies such as fire, accident etc
3. What legal liabilities are involved?
• No legal liability to State or the NW structure
• Totally voluntary
• Same powers as the normal citizen on the street
• Have the right to make citizen’s arrest like any other person
• Have the right to protect themselves or other persons regarding the use of
4. What is expected from the Watch?
• ONLY observation
• No arrests or chasing after suspects
• If and when arresting a suspect, use only reasonable force
• Performing duties only in your own neighbourhood
• Duties can include patrols by: vehicles, bicycle, foot, etc.
• MAIN MISSION: focused & effective communication between residents and security / emergency services personnel
5. What is expected from a Watch Member?
• Some of your time to help conduct community patrols
• If you cannot partake in patrols then static observation from home
• Concerned about crime but can do neither of the above – there are various other tasks that need to be fulfilled to make this initiative work – please volunteer
• Get your neighbours involved!
• Please let us know of any special skills or qualifications that you may be able share or contribute e.g. medical, counselling, desktop publishing, social media, marketing, legal, signage & printing, fundraising, safe-house, equipment, etc